Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Potato and Leek Soup


I took my inspiration from here: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Soup/Potatoes/recipe.html?dishid=7172 but tweaked it to be dairy free. It turned out really good. I’ve never had potato and leek soup before though, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was delicious.

Oh, and I had bought GIANT leeks at the farmers market on Saturday, seriously, these things were taller then my three year old, it was awesome.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4

Potato and Leek Soup

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil) (45 ml)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups leeks, white part and a little green, sliced thinly (325 ml)
  • 3 Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 6 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)  (1.5 L)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1/2 Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions and leeks and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, season and stir. Add the stock, bay leaves and thyme and cook until potatoes are very soft. Puree soup in a blender or food processor, adding lemon juice and seasoning to taste.

I also only purred half the soup. Which thickened it up but still had some chunks of potato and leek to eat, which makes me feel fuller – I know it’s all in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment